04 July 2009

Tsukiji Fish Market


So far, the Tokyo Metropolitan Central Wholesale Market or what is commonly known as the Tsukiji Fish Market is my favorite place in Tokyo. It is the largest fish and seafood market in the entire world and covers more area than 40 football fields.

It is an unbelievable sight to see when it is running at full steam at 6 in the morning. Motorized carts zipping around, tuna auctioneers barking out prices and warehouses full of every seafood imaginable make for great pictures. But please be respectful to those that are working. They recently closed the tuna auctions to tourists because they were being too disruptive. They have since re-opened the auctions from 5:00 am to 6:15 am only. They now have security personnel and no flash photography is allowed.

The key is to go early in the morning. If you’re visiting from the US, getting up early shouldn’t be a problem your first couple of days in Japan as your body clock will probably wake you up before the sun rises. If you get there after 8am, you'll miss most of the action.

I haven't been back since they restricted tourist access, so I'm not sure how easily you can walk around and take pictures anymore. However, when I was there three years ago, as you can see from the photos below, I was able to go pretty much anywhere I wanted. I think the key was that I kept out of their way and I was respectful to the people who were there doing their job.

Before I left, I bought a small tray (approximately 20 slices) of fresh sashimi for 1000 yen (US $10). The best sashimi I have ever had! Oishikatta!

The nearest subway stations are the Tsukijishijō Station on the Toei Ōedo Line and the Tsukiji Station on the Tokyo Metro Hibiya Line.

To see more photos click on the slideshow below.


Tokyo : Tsukiji Market - Images by darrell miho

No comments:

Post a Comment